Monday, April 30, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

One of the things that I want to do with this blog is to share some ways I have found to save money around the house. I, also, like knowing that when I make things myself I guarantee that there are not hidden ingredients that I am not aware of. So, this is a recipe I found for making homemade laundry detergent. I was skeptical at the beginning. However, this works really well. The clothes do not loose any color. It is safe for sensitive baby skin. Finally, it costs 1 PENNY per load.  I make a batch every two to three months. This batch literally took 20 minutes or less. The recipe is below.

Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Bar or other type of soap, as listed above (can use a Dove bar)
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder 

You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan (I recommend that large grating size. The fine grating takes forever and does not really make that much of a time difference - fine grate is pictured below).  Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. 


Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat. 

Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.   Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Now add 1 gallon (16 cups) plus 6 cups of water and stir (22 cups total). 


Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.  You use ½ cup per load. 

I put the bucket in my laundry room or basement. Every couple of weeks, I stir it and use a funnel to fill my old Tide container. Before each wash I just shake the bottle and pour it in the washer like regular detergent. And, yes, the shaking before laundering is one extra step. However, I ask myself what they have added to regular detergents to keep them congealed together. Then, those additives are on our skin. :( As well, I love that Maddox can participate in making it because it does not have harmful chemicals (I would not let him eat it of course). 

This is so economical and easy. I highly recommend trying it for yourself. I have other recipes for homemade household cleaners I will share later. I hope you enjoy! Have a great afternoon.





No comments:

Post a Comment